Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Friday, August 7, 2009
I love redoing furniture and using something for an entireley new purpose. I also love reading what everyonge else in the blog community is crafting up so I thoguth I'd finally start bloggin so I can join in. This is what I've been working on lately, it is finally finished (after a lot of help from my Dad). This is a dresser I found that had some damage. I've wanted an island since moving in, 1 dresser, a few cans of spray paint, and a new top later and walah, here it is.
The kiddos enjoying their new eating area. Maybe now I can have a clean tablecloth and maybe even entertain the idea of a great centerpiece for the table.
I am participating in DIY Day check it out!
A few have asked how I did the top, hope this helps. To do the top I bought 2-2'X3' preglued (you can make it as big as you want and have room for) aspen shelving pieces (from Lowes), glued and biscuit jointed them together in the middle then glued the top to the beat up top already on the dresser. Then I trimmed out the top with a 1X4 that we ripped down the middle. Put a few screws from the bottom up for extra strength. At this point cost of materials about $40. Then lots of sanding to get it super soft, routered the edge and stained. Then topped with polycrylic. Picking out the stain color was the hardest, I wanted it to match my cabinetry, didn't, but oh well I want to paint my cabinets white eventually so it will work.